Thread: AR optics
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 10:19 PM   #9
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec View Post
Short answer from somebody not very qualified(me). Red dot is not magnified and is designed to be shot with 2 eyes open and very fast target acquisition with a very good field of view. A scope is usually magnified and but can be 1x(most scopes that are that low of magnification are not a true 1x though unless you pay for a high quality scope). Scopes are for precision/longer range shooting for the most part. There are some amazing 1-4,1-6 and 1-8 scopes that can somewhat give you the best of both worlds. You can run a magnifier for red dots to that will give you better ability at longer ranges.
But like always it depends on your needs/mission/goal that dictates what suits you best. The above thread is a good place to start and I believe there's quite a few optic discussions on here.
I was shooting a friend's AR (varmint) at 200 yards. He had a Vortex scope, I believe it was a 20x (although I wasn't using the full 20 and had a fun time....but it must say, it was a bit easy. Also honestly, while my vision is good, I don't think I could hit a target at 200 yards (we were shooting at something the size of a dessert plate) with no magnification. The scope was zero'ed in perfectly, so I was nailing the plate dead center everytime. I think a red dot would would for a combat rifle, but for a varmint/sniper, me thinks a scope is the way to go for me.