View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 02:26 AM   #1
hateflkasraei

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325I
Question non HK system with component speakers: tweeters and crossover help!

Hi, im recently upgrading my speakers since the factory ones were completely destroyed over time..
I have an 2001 325I; US version obviously.

so, I bought a pair of Memphis 15-MC6202 coaxical for the rear deck... no problem there!
then i have a pair of Memphis 15-MCS6 which is a component speaker, it comes with tweeters, so there is a crossover to separate the woofer channel and tweeter channel for output.
this is where my problem starts.
I decided to keep using the factory amp since i wanted all my 10 speakers up and running (by 10 i mean 3 in the front door and 2 on the back each side) . So i cut out the factory tweeters and replaced them with my component tweeter, but since i have a crossover, it feeds through that crossover, that means for the crossover input i have the factory woofers wire. so i let the factory tweeters wire loose for a while... then i decided to be a noob and connect BOTH factory woofer and tweeter wires for my crossover input. well, i got the real detailed sound that i wanted, but it gets nasty when i turn it real up... its like the crossover gets too much frequency and then stops the speakers.
im guessing the problem is my noobness that i plugged both factory tweeters and woofers wires into the crossovers input.

so my question is: should i connect the factory tweeter wires directly to the tweeters? that means i will no longer use my crossover for tweeters since i will be plugging only the woofer wires to the crossover.
or i could just let the factory tweeters wire lose and just use the woofer wire and plug it into crossover and let the crossover separate the signals for woofer and tweeters.
the reason im asking that is "if there is a separate wiring comes from factory amp for each component, that means the sound must be already separated into the amp. so if i only connect the woofer wires to crossover, i should only get low frequencies so my actual high frequencies are wasting."

OR i could just let the woofer wire be for the components speaker system and get a separate tweeters to plug them directly to the factory wiring.

please let me know about your opinions, if you done this before thats even better.
PO: im changed my headunit too... its pioneer avh 3200bt
thanks!
hateflkasraei is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.