View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 11:11 AM   #13
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris3Duke View Post
I know you're kidding, but it's way more complicated.

- Offside rule. You always have to have someone between you and the opposing team's goal when you are involved in a play. EXCEPT: it can't be their goalie, when you're not across midfield, and when you have the ball already.

- Direct versus indirect free kicks.

- The card system, and what offenses receive what cards (stuff like DOGSO, etc.).

- The clock system (extra time).

- Overtime and shootout rules.

- What happens if you touch the ball with your hands (depends on who you are, where it happened, and even your "intention").

- Penalty kicks, the box, the semi-circle, keeper coming off his line (technically illegal but never gets called, except when it does).

- When it's ok to tackle someone and how (front versus behind, slide versus conventional, studs up versus studs down).

- When and where the keeper can pick the ball up (can only hold it for so long, can't put it down and pick it back up again, can't pick it up if kicked to him but can if headed to him, etc.)

I could go on and on.
I know. I am huge football (EPL, mostly) fan.

Anyone who doesn't like soccer won't take the effort to learn about the game. The opportunities and playmaking happen all the time, but Americans feel a desire to see black and white goals/numbers. No appreciation for the preparation of sport.

--no offsides on a throw in

--when is a ball out of bounds? touching line, partially over, out of bounds in the air? etc.