View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 01:24 PM   #975
ClaytonL

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
That's true. I agree. By play do you mean spinning like a skateboard play or back and forth play like if you wiggle it? mine was wiggling a little bit in addition to some dry sounding spinning action (though not that bad)

I feel these pulleys start feeling dry after about a month or so of use. maybe they can use some better grease packed into them? like Redline CV2? would be afraid of damaging the seal though.
I have both the back and forth play as well as the dry skateboard wheel feel. For the record, the INA doesnt have any play but was REALLY dry and kept spinning for about 4 seconds. The Meyle had enough play to cause an audible click when wiggling but did not keep spinning as much as the INA. Both had that dry bearing sounds when I messed with them. To me, the INA held up better since I'd rather have zero play in my pulleys.

I thought about greasing them but I'm worried about their integrity once they are on the car again. I'm scared they might come apart on my daily commute and I live too far to be worrying about that all the time. When I get my new pulleys I will try and take apart the old ones and see about the greasing. For now, just replacing the pulleys every 30,000 miles is good enough insurance for me. Maybe Genuine BMW pulleys will hold up longer? Better quality INA? I don't really know...