View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #4773
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
You will like Colorado a lot.
I go to CU for my masters in engineering, I am taking a break this semester though.

I think it will be better if you go to CSU or CU boulder if you are looking for mechanical engineering. CU Denver is not very organized in terms of administration and faculty. Worst is my school, school of computer science and engineering. They have created so many blunders because of ever changing rules and lack of communication with the administration.

School of mines is the best for an engineering student I'd say.

Good luck.

Edit: for masters degree I'd definitely say DU hands down. Their business school is one of the top and very good environment to study there.
Yeah I think so too! There are no fun roads in Kansas... btw how much power does an M3 loose at 5,000 ft?

Right now my focus is undergrad ME. It's nice to keep in mind that DU has good graduate studies, but I probably shouldn't let that influence my undergrad decision too much. My biggest concern with DU is the size of the program. It seems like ME at CSU is much more substantial and therefore will have the labs, equipment, toys, extra stuff, blah blah whatever. Versus DU might have the basics but beyond that

I know mines is better but I still don't know how I feel about a predominantly engineering (and guys) school. Also, I haven't applied there and even if I did idk if I would get in. I have actually driven through Golden and formally visited CU Boulder and CSU. I have only a month or two until I have to make my decision so that's why we're driving out this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsmtnbiker View Post
I'm at CSU in the ME program. Let me know if you have any specific questions... Overall it's a pretty good program. Just be prepared for a lot of work, especially sophomore/junior years.

Also, Fort Collins is an awesome town. Especially once you're 21.
What year are you?

Ft. Collins is honestly a big plus for CSU. I like the college town thing. Plus that foothills campus and all. I'm old so I'll turn 21 during the second half of my sophomore semester.

Currently I've been going to a (supposedly, it's what they tell me) very challenging college-prep high school. I'd like to think that I'll be ready for lots of work. I understand that that's what college is about though.

My main cons for CSU are just the classic big state school stuff. Class size / individual attention / getting help.

I need to make sure that I'm convinced that CSU is worth it over KU. They're both fairly similar as far as I can tell, I haven't compared them directly enough yet. KU would be way cheaper and 45 mins from home instead of 10 hours. Big difference in an M3 on 600lb/in linear springs

You might be able to answer this question: DU is in Denver which is a huge economic center, but what about CSU? How available/good are Co-op, internship, and ultimately job offers for CSU kids?

Thanks for the help so far guys. I really value your input. Sorry for intruding so badly in the thread!
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote