View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 11:09 AM   #4777
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwyte View Post
You need to manage your debt. You need to manage your debt. You need to manage your debt!

What I mean is, go to the cheapest school you can for undergrad! A ME degree from DU will get you the exact same job as one from CSU, for the exact same pay, except you'll be drowning under a mountain of debt from DU. (Unless you get a full ride, or have exceptionally nice parents)

For your MBA, your job prospects are very much tied to what program you graduate from. Unless you end up in a top tier program, like an Ivy League school, Stanford, Univ of Chicago, etc, it's not worth spending the cash to go to a second tier, private school. At that point, go to the cheapest program you can find. The big companies are going to recruit out of the top ten schools (Ivy's) and pretty much ignore the rest.

Don't put yourself in a hole financially before you even get started.
Well said.

Schools doesnt matter, but go to a school where you will be in less trouble because of someone else's fault.
Example: UC Denver.
I was told to do a 2 classes of pre-requisite courses after completing my Masters Classes. And they are offered only in Fall. So, I have to wait till next semester to do my undergrad classes after all my classes are done. I was never informed before, until I signed up for Graduation. I get an email from the assistant Dean saying I wont be able to graduate, at the last moment.
They seem to care less about students once they enroll to the program. So, here I am, a living example of idiotic communication between the administration and the department. The department says, I can graduate but the registrar's office says I cant. WTF?

And they let go of the professors because they aside with the students. I have seen 3 such cases, within 3 years in the school where the professors were fired because they seem to disagree with the Chair of the department and administration.

Make a wise choice. Talk to people who go the University and then decide. Dont worry about whether it will be a college town or Downtown. You will make friends everywhere and you can have fun in any college. But you dont want to be in trouble because of a stupid administration.