Old 02-13-2013, 03:55 PM   #3
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

My Ride: E46, E30, Quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post

BMW Dynamic Light Spot

BMW ConnectedDrive: Dynamic Light Spot identifies animals at night
BMW Night Vision, a driver assistance system from BMW ConnectedDrive, makes a significant contribution to accident avoidance after dark. Thanks to BMW Dynamic Light Spot, moreover, the risk of collisions with pedestrians is reduced even further. From summer 2013, BMW Night Vision will additionally feature a specific animal recognition system that extends beyond the reach of the main-beam headlights. An infrared thermal imaging camera mounted in the BMW kidney grille is able to detect heat-emitting objects from a distance of some 100 meters, while distinguishing between humans and animals by the level of heat. If BMW Night Vision anticipates a potential collision with an animal, the Dynamic Light Spots start to flash at the animal in a targeted manner. The instrument display simultaneously flags up the symbol of a deer. In the event of acute danger, the on-board system additionally emits an acoustic warning.
Why does BMW think the driver needs to know what kind of animal is in front? Whether it is a fox, squirrel, deer, or human it doesn't matter. Or am I just reading this wrong and the deer symbol is generic for any obstacle? Either way, I would rather the car stop itself like a Volvo, Acura, etc. instead of showing me a light and beeping.

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"

Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote