View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013, 01:34 AM   #43
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
I put quotations around the number for a reason, your number is as much of a guess as mine
Having working the computer hw mfg sector for 20+ years, I'd wager mine is likely a more educated guess than yours. The point being that yes, buying american made is going to be more expensive than buying china made, but, to say that it will be 500% more expensive, is very unrealistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Also, there is an issue here with the argument. One one hand you have people arguing that even though the US has near the top corporate tax rate, it doesn't matter because of tax shelters. They argue that US corporations really pay 12% or whatever. This is fine and dandy, but mom and pop corps are paying the full rate.

That argument is used when someone argues that the US has one of the highest global corporate tax rates. If you take out the apple's and other multinational corporations that (bring in jobs to the US, btw) use tax shelters you have all the small businesses in America dealing with the highest tax rate in the world (second, third, whatever). As such, the argument that our corporate tax rates are already too high is indeed valid and applies to the vast majority of corporations in the US (most are small businesses).

You'd probably yield better results by lowering the rate and then eliminating certain deductions. The higher the rate, the higher the incentive to circumvent the tax. At some point the rate will be low enough that it will make economic sense to just stay here. As such, overall revenues will increase as a result.
have no problem with lowering the tax rates (personal and corporate) provided all deductions are eliminated. And I agree the "mom and pops" are the ones getting screwed over. But, so are the working class when it comes to taxes. The very wealthy can afford to find shelters (and tax lawyers) for much of their income and as a result pay a much lower percentage in tax than many work class folks do. The same goes for corporations. Why should corporations get to deduct the cost of their rent off their taxes, but, a citizen doesn't get to deduct their rent costs off their taxes.

So first lets make it more difficult to circumvent. If you don't, then all you will get is a lower tax rate and just as much circumvention. Multinational corporations have teams of lawyers and accounts to do just such circumnavigating. They are still going to do it. A lower rate, unless its effectively zero, isn't going to stop that, and you damn well know it.

quis custodiet ipsos custodes
rdsesq is offline   Reply With Quote