View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013, 07:37 PM   #34
k2pilot

My Ride: Z4MC & B8 S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
How did you find a diesel Gwag? They never imported them to the US to the best of my knowledge....is it a private import? Those things are indestructable....literally. 100K is nothing.
Oh but a select few made it in. Also the older 460-461 chassis are getting over 25 years old, so they're really making a move on the states, and there's not much difference between them and the 463 really. The 463 (what we think of as a g wagon) has the full time awd and the three locking diffs, only major difference. Also all the modern interiors are directly transplantable, which is what I'll be doing as soon as I grab mine. But other than that, you can buy most any old 460, do a complete restoration, shove a nice shiny om606 motor in there, use the om603 mechanical fuel pump and you've got yourself a bomb proof getup.

The one I'm grabbing was one of 10 or so that legally made it in, however it has the older om603 diesel motor, about 5 had the newer 606, but it's easy enough to toss a new 606 with a holset hx35 turbo in place in the 603 I'll have, then mate it up to a 6 speed manual. Should result in a car with a snazzy interior, bomb proof motor, about 26mpg at 75mph, great offroadability, and almost 300hp!

here she is,
http://www.clubgwagen.com/forum/down...6102&mode=view

By the time I'm done restoring it, it should look like this,

LUVW G-Wagon, 2 Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group, Exercise "SPARTAN BEAR" Convoy to CFB Petawawa by Barry Griffiths CAD, on Flickr