View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 06:08 PM   #26
HighBoostin330

My Ride: 2002 Stock 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
So I guess this offends you? What does an S54 have to do with this? I asked a question. I'd like to hear your thoughts.
It doesn't offend me. I was just trying to understand your rational stating the non-M even in NA form is inadequate for track due to engine shortfalls. So I was trying to apply your rational to the E46 M3 you picked up. From my experience, the S54 still had rod bearing issues, sheering cam bolts, and exhaust VANOS hub cracking. And these are seen on cars that haven't even been to the track. Although the sheering cam bolts and cracking VANOS exhaust hubs are more dominant on the 2004+ vehicles. Basically what I am saying is both engines has its shortfalls as witness in the community. So, to say one engine is hands down better than the other because you didn't personally witness a failure of the S54 is incorrect. Just like everything else made in the world, it all has it's shortcomings.

And to answer your question, it is supposedly engine harmonics that cause the oil pump nut to back out on the M54. However, I never personally witnessed it on my M54 as it was blueprinted and balanced during its reassembly and the oil pump nut was welded on. I did replace the oil pump with the VAIO pump and placed in a VAC oil pan baffle just for peace of mind.
HighBoostin330 is offline   Reply With Quote