View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 12:21 AM   #90
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
I don't agree with the bold. Hell, I don't even want that life. I want a comfortable life, with a decent home, a nice yard for the kids to play in, and for the government to keep their hands away from my family, my property, my guns and my money. The millionaires are just scapegoats IMHO.
Christ on a bike!!! This is not about scapegoating millionaires. It is about generational social expectations. I'm glad you have realistic expectations, I hope you pass them on. Most people don't. When people are told you have to be a college degreed, white collar, doctor/lawyer/accountant/investment banker/engineer making well into six figures to be a "success" and a "the purest form of american", and most people realize they aren't going to achieve that no matter how hard they try. People wonder why you have a generation(s) of work apathy? Maybe its because I saw this in the UK in the 70's and the emergence of the punk movement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
I also disagree with your last paragraph, although that is personal. I view that as sacrifice. I worked two jobs when all my friends were out partying, hanging out with chicks, whatever. I spent my college years slaving away at work and studying (and saving) while they all went out and had a good time. I sacrificed social time, fun, a nice car, etc, all for the smarter move of saving/investing my money, building my resume with work, etc. A sacrifice doesn't have to be painful. All sacrifices are choices.
I did the same. In my 30's, I looked on it as a sacrifice. In my 40's I now see it was just a choice. It wasn't "noble", it wasn't "the right thing to do", it just is. If I had made a different choice my life would be different. Not better, not worse, just different. Good and bad are relative things and usually based on an outsider's view of something. I am happy where I am. That doesn't mean if I had made different choices, different work and/or school vs life trade-offs I wouldn't be happy with those.

I think people want to think of them as sacrifices because they do regret and guilt.
"Oh if only I had done ..fill_in_the_blank.. my life would be better." "Oh...I did (or didn't) do (x, y, or z) like I should have...and now my life is ruined. Oh woe is me. I made the wrong decision. Everything that is wrong in my life comes back to this bad decision....if only I could go back!! Mea culpa, mea culpa!" Its just nauseating.

quis custodiet ipsos custodes
rdsesq is offline   Reply With Quote