View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 01:03 AM   #91
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsesq View Post
Christ on a bike!!! This is not about scapegoating millionaires. It is about generational social expectations. I'm glad you have realistic expectations, I hope you pass them on. Most people don't. When people are told you have to be a college degreed, white collar, doctor/lawyer/accountant/investment banker/engineer making well into six figures to be a "success" and a "the purest form of american", and most people realize they aren't going to achieve that no matter how hard they try. People wonder why you have a generation(s) of work apathy? Maybe its because I saw this in the UK in the 70's and the emergence of the punk movement.

I did the same. In my 30's, I looked on it as a sacrifice. In my 40's I now see it was just a choice. It wasn't "noble", it wasn't "the right thing to do", it just is. If I had made a different choice my life would be different. Not better, not worse, just different. Good and bad are relative things and usually based on an outsider's view of something. I am happy where I am. That doesn't mean if I had made different choices, different work and/or school vs life trade-offs I wouldn't be happy with those.

I think people want to think of them as sacrifices because they do regret and guilt.
"Oh if only I had done ..fill_in_the_blank.. my life would be better." "Oh...I did (or didn't) do (x, y, or z) like I should have...and now my life is ruined. Oh woe is me. I made the wrong decision. Everything that is wrong in my life comes back to this bad decision....if only I could go back!! Mea culpa, mea culpa!" Its just nauseating.
I guess my point is pretty simple...taxing money is like gun control in many respects. You do whatever you want, the results will be minimal. Millionaires and billionaries will always shelter their money. They have the ability to move it around, etc etc etc. They always have, and they always will (lets also not forget they have plenty of politicians in their pockets as well.) As a result, the people who REALLY get hosed are those of us stuck in the middle. Someone needs to make up the difference the government was EXPECTING to get from the millionaires, and when that money doesn't show up, someone else will pay. Just like you are being realistic knowing that the government will never run at peak efficiency (lets be honest, they are probably not even running at 50%), the same can be said about these "expected" tax revenues....they are just paper numbers.

P.S. Did they have bicycles during the Christ periods

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 02-16-2013 at 01:04 AM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote