View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 07:18 PM   #32
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
The percentages are not as important as the public perception and the impact. Nobody gave a crap about Glock until cops started using them in the mid-to-late 80s, then Glock took over upwards of 75-80% of the market share of LE pistols. If it wasn't for LE, Glock would never have gotten to where they are now.
S&W is making a lot of in-roads with LE sales and they're quickly taking over a lot of Glock territory. I would suspect that S&W would not want to lose the momentum and give anything back up to Glock. Not to mention the fact that the M&P15 line is gaining a lot of ground in the patrol rifle realm.

Here's what I would say, specifically for Glock and S&W- If one does it, the other will. They are likely waiting for the other company to move first. It really depends on which company will do it first. If I had to make a prediction, I would say that S&W would do it before Glock did, since S&W is an American company.

JMO.
Fair enough. It seems (especially in Glock's case) that they are kind of a "household" name now. They don't need the LE backup to sell....kind of like Mcdonalds selling salads....if they stopped serving big macs tomorrow, their image is still fast junk food. I think this is an issue in only a few states, so the blockback wont be major from the targeted LE perspective, but the bonus of the 2nd amendment guys going gaga over the fact would spike their sales numbers. Obviously just a thought, based on no real evidence. I guess time will tell (as will the NY lawsuit.)