View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 03:59 PM   #60
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Shift View Post
For ball joint separation don't use the pickle fork. This is what you want, and it makes the job stress-free:
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-qua...tor-99849.html

Tech4Tech- The link to the ball joint separator says its for front wheel drive vehicles. It works on the e46 too?
If you read the reviews, there was one person who used it on a Ford F350 truck, which is as hardcore as it gets. There is also a review that mentions using it on a BMW e30, so answers the BMW question.
I have also used one of these when replacing the CA's on my previous e46. That car was a from NY, so there was a good bit of rust on it. It worked fine for me. Just hold on to the receipt, because they will replace it if it does break. It is still cheaper than renting a tool, and the parts stores that loan tools do not seem to have these, just pickle forks (at least in my area).
I don't know why they specify it for FWD cars. It may be because the majority of people who would even consider breaking a ball joint open these days are people replacing driveshshafts with bad CV joints on a FWD car.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote