View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013, 09:06 PM   #20
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
There is nothing morally wrong with.. And I know many kids who came from broken homes.. But at least there WERE two parents involved and they simply split at some point.. Not a situation where dad wasn't there from day one. That reality almost guarantees difficulty in the business world and a high probability of issues with the law. Can it be overcome? Of course. But that is the exception rather than the norm.. And whenever that is the case, we should be open to discourage it... Especially when many of these women are having 2, 3, 5, or even more children with various men.. It's appalling and the offspring of those individuals have virtually NO chance.. We all remember the recent Atlanta taser video...
Chase, my father split when I was 3 after having me out of wedlock and I have never heard from him since. Avoided the system and never paid child support. That being said I think I am testament that children who come from broken homes have just as much ability to do well as those who don't. It's all a matter of how disciplined the single parent is and how responsible/motivated the child is. A strong loving mother kept me aligned with my goals and worked hard to point me in the right direction. Granted she married my stepfather in my later childhood years but he was rarely around as one would expect a father to be and so my experience of a so called "mentor" was very limited. Point being...don't make generalizations no matter how angry those that abuse the system dig at you. Recognize that yes there is a problem, but falsely accusing all those who came from the same background is ignorant and wrong. Enough with my personal stories though. Just wanted to let ya know that I didn't exactly have the picture perfect family growing up but I turned out at the same level as you. It was a struggle for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsesq View Post
Where did I state that the welfare system is not in need of significant reform? It is.

You have yet to show that personal accountability & responsibility and WEDLOCK are related. They clearly are not. The divorce rate in this country is proof of that.

You speak of "family values". And just what "family" do they come from? White, "upper middle class", christian, suburbia? Given the high dysfunction in american families, getting as far away from those "values" is a good idea. (Its true, most families are bleeped up. They rely on guilt and shame and passive aggressive behavior to communicate. They attempt to suppress and repress the things that are not "social norms" in themselves and their offspring. If those are the "family values" you speak of, the sooner we are rid of them, the better.

There are more successes than you care to admit. And this "failure" is much more largely based on economics than race. Whites in similar economic circumstances have similar "failure" rates. (Oh...but lets not bring that up because those are whites, and that wouldn't be PC.)

Yes, that's right Chase. You are the PC twip here. You aren't "telling it like it is" because you are so "anti-PC". You are PC as you tow the line of many of those in your political belief circle. You whine like a baby about "reverse discrimination", and attempt to martyr yourself on the alter of "reverse reverse discrimination". Enjoy your persecution complex. It appears to be your baby blanket that keeps you warm at night.

I can agree with some of this even though I don't like to admit that I am indeed agreeing with you. I guess it really takes having to experience a shitty background to know that it is indeed possible to rise above the **** pile and lead a successful and rewarding life.
The whole business of politics has been effectively subcontracted out to a band of professionals. Money people, outreach people, message people, research people. The rest of us are meant to feel like amateurs. In the sense of suckers. We become demotivated to learn more about how things work. We begin to opt out.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote