View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 12:56 PM   #22
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumb View Post
Well, I would tend to agree, that at but a year or two its too earlier to make any gender-identity declaration based on a few behaviors.

However, I do think my broader points are still valid, that gender identity is more complex than having specific (or unspecific in some cases) boy or girl bits and that gender identity is an inherent part of a person's nature from day one, not simply some fully flexible thing that can be nurtured one way or the other. So yes, even if junior takes a liking to Barbie or your girl grows fond of impact wrenches will not bend them to suddenly assume some new, different gender identity (whatever that even means, really).

Which brings me back to my point that the child's own apparently well-developed sense of gender identity should be the main determinant in how to treat him/her rather than simply checking off which body bits he has and insisting he comports to that happenstance of biology.
Well I guess you would need to see how "severe" the "symptoms" are. If a parents sees their son playing with barbies and they continue to perpetuate the "female" gender in him, they very well can dislodge his normal developmental progress. If they see him playing with a barbie and say "oh wow, it's a girl in a boys body, we need to train him to pee sitting down" will absolutely mess with the childs behavioral development, and not for the better.

This is a similar argument with homosexuality. You often hear the argument "I knew when I was a young kid, because I liked to put on my mom's heels and hated girls." There is still no real evidence that a person is "born gay."

Now sure, a child can indeed be born with a hormonal imbalance causing all types of development problems, but lets not forget, a hormonal imbalance is actually a condition, and not just "that's the way they are."