Thread: slick paint
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 04:14 PM   #27
ClaytonL

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
As others said, your paint needs to be as smooth as glass otherwise all the wax in the world won't help you. start with a clean slate. this means clay and polish first before wax. you might want to pay a professional to do this especially since your car is red (it looks faded in the pic you have as your sig as red paint tends to turn pink if not looked after).you can spend hundreds on equipment alone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverThreeTwoFive View Post
Anywys. Yeah you need to clay your shizz first to get all the contaminants out of the paint that washing alone can't remove. Then the wax, and then your car will be shiny and silky "schmoove" as we used to say in the shop. Red is a pretty forgiving paint color. Even just a wax makes red cars look a lot better and they glow with a good buff. I love red BMW's. Try a small spot on your car to see how it looks. Just pick a spot that you don't really notice and try some clay on it and then a decent wax and see what it does for the paint. It's hard to tell the condition of your paint just from one pic, though.
I usually clay twice a year. The clay bar of choice is Mothers (I can find this down the street at an Oreillys). Maybe I should try something different. I use Klasse AIO and Collinite twice a year. Every two months I use Meguiars Ultimate Paste Wax for a refresh. Normal washes consists of the two bucket method with Meguiars Gold Class followed by the quick wax they make. Im curious about the Hybrid V7 Optical Select. Maybe I'll order a bottle and try that out. The paint looks and feel fantastic after. No pink. All my pictures on here are from my iPhone 4 and have been reshaped. I'm thinking that's why my car is looking pink. The two biggest problems I'm having is the water beading not lasting months like I was told it should and close up fine scratches from the previous owner. I guess she used a regular towel to dry.
I've been looking around for a trustworthy detailer around that knows their buffers. I dont trust myself with one nor a regular car wash place.

Also have been thinking about hooking a RV water filter between my house and hose so all my water comes out pure without tap contaminates.