View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013, 01:37 PM   #18
brew

My Ride: Sequoia X5 MR2 G20
When I made that Chimchurri above, I did buy new beef stock and wound up buying a little jar of concentrated beef stock paste/bullion paste/demi whatever. This stuff:

It was $6 bucks, but it makes 32 cups of beef broth. First ingredient is "roasted beef", which is awesome because most of the competing brands start with salt or msg/hydrolized soy protein.

I've used it a couple of times in the last month to make a simple dipping sauce for steak:

1.5 teaspoons beef concentrate
2 cloves of mashed garlic
6 ounces of water

Just simmer that for a few minutes or heat it in the microwave. Makes a truly awesome jus dipping sauce.

Last night I was pan cooking some sirloins and decided to make a brown sauce:

2 teaspoons beef concentrate
1.5 cup water
2 teaspoons flour
tons of cracked pepper
hot steak pan, all crusty and a bit greasy from cooking the steaks

I heated the concentrate and 1 cup of water in the microwave to get it nice and hot and mixed well.
I then poured about 4 ounces of stock into the hot steak pan to deglaze and quickly added the flour. I quickly whisked it all together until a thick roux formed and let that cook for about 30 seconds. I then added the rest of the stock and whisked over med high heat, getting it to proper gravy consistency. I then added the pepper and served over the steaks. Kinda tasted like the salsbury steak sauce in tv dinners, but much better.

Last edited by brew; 03-12-2013 at 01:38 PM.
brew is offline   Reply With Quote