View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013, 01:58 PM   #19
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post
When I made that Chimchurri above, I did buy new beef stock and wound up buying a little jar of concentrated beef stock paste/bullion paste/demi whatever. This stuff:

It was $6 bucks, but it makes 32 cups of beef broth. First ingredient is "roasted beef", which is awesome because most of the competing brands start with salt or msg/hydrolized soy protein.

I've used it a couple of times in the last month to make a simple dipping sauce for steak:

1.5 teaspoons beef concentrate
2 cloves of mashed garlic
6 ounces of water

Just simmer that for a few minutes or heat it in the microwave. Makes a truly awesome jus dipping sauce.

Last night I was pan cooking some sirloins and decided to make a brown sauce:

2 teaspoons beef concentrate
1.5 cup water
2 teaspoons flour
tons of cracked pepper
hot steak pan, all crusty and a bit greasy from cooking the steaks

I heated the concentrate and 1 cup of water in the microwave to get it nice and hot and mixed well.
I then poured about 4 ounces of stock into the hot steak pan to deglaze and quickly added the flour. I quickly whisked it all together until a thick roux formed and let that cook for about 30 seconds. I then added the rest of the stock and whisked over med high heat, getting it to proper gravy consistency. I then added the pepper and served over the steaks. Kinda tasted like the salsbury steak sauce in tv dinners, but much better.
This stuff makes great seasoning on roasts and such. Just rub it all over and bake. It adds a nice flavor and makes things A LOT simpler for quick and easy home cooking.