View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013, 04:53 PM   #24
grubbab

My Ride: 330ci convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanJR View Post
Hello to all,
I recently purchased a windscreen for my wifes 2004 325Ci. When I installed it I didnt have the tabs, that go under the rear top flap, properly alligned. When the top flap went to close, I heard a two clicking sounds and the system quit working. It met some resistance. I was receiving a flashing red light on the top "down" control button and the trunk would not open electronically.
I put the top back up manually and took the vehicle to an after market BMW mechanic, since the warranty just expired 3 months ago! The mechanic acted as though he could repair it and when I went to pick it up, he still had no idea what was wrong.
Long story short is I have diagnosed the problem as being the Top Flap Drive Unit located under the rear seat of the vehicle. If I push down on the top of this unit and operate the top, it works like a champ. This also cleared the light and allowed the trunk to operate properly.
I am told that the plastic top to this unit holds the gearing in place and when it meets resistance, the plastic breaks and the gearing pops out. Of course I have been unable to find the plastic piece and I just bought the entire drive motor from BMW (part # 51-25-8-248-308) for $261. I want to make this a DIY project but I wanted to check with the members to know if this is possible or if there is resynchronization that needs to take place, etc.
Your input is much appreciated.
Thanks.
I had the same problem after trying to open my E46 top with a carboard box on it that got jammed in the mechanism. The hydraulic motor would not run. I could move the top manually and it would latch in the up position, but I could only latch and unlatch the "flap" (the part that encloses the top when it is in the down position) with the supplied allen wrench. I could hear clicking sounds from the flap lock mechanism beneath the rear seat. I took the mechanism part way out, (see youtube for removing rear seat-very easy) and removed the motor from beneath the mechanism. The cause of the problem was a PAL nut that had come off the main drive gear, causing the gear to lift and jump past the mating gear. Took 5 minutes to reattach (using my hands and 2 sockets as a press).

To my surprise, I put the top up manually and pressed the "top up" button. Once it latched the flap properly, the top worked fine. I don't think there is a reset procedure like the E36 has. Seems more like all the sensors have to indicate that everything is its place, or the control module won't let the process continue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flap drive top noted.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	224.2 KB
ID:	498778  
grubbab is offline   Reply With Quote