View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 11:24 AM   #40
bradnic

My Ride: E46 M3 SMG
Tracking down the matching connector for the e46 power adapter module

Heard back from CTD. Dealer couldn't find his order info.
I took one of my connectors out and was able to find a BMW part number for the pin/male side of the plug. Looks like it's manufactured by Tyco. should be able to find the matching socket+bushings now

tyco 2-828819
BMW 1 378 113-01
(missing the first 2 number pairs)

SEARCHING USING THE TYCO PART NUMBER

trying the tyco part number, Looks like a "Tyco / AMP" connector, BMW specific ("restricted use"). more info from te.com (tyco electronics) here including an engineering schematic from BMW for a 4 pin version.

SEARCHING USING THE BMW PART NUMBER

with some google work, looks like it's "61-13-1-378-113 Pin terminal, 3 POL. WEISS" so now we need to find the matching socket.

The same part was used in the E9X cars, which have a rear lighter outlet built into the console (see part 4). It's also used for the lighter on the front console. This is still the wrong side of the plug though :-( and you end up in the same place - the receiving socket is part of the smoker package S441A or storage package S493A. I have S441A on my E46 M3, but don't remember seeing this connector in the rear of the console. Will have to take another look.

The part description and part number in realoem for the pins on the assy
Circular contact 2.5
0,5-1,5MM˛

matching bushings by searching on that pin part number gives the pic below (click on it to go to realoem)
looks like any of the part numbers named "receptacle" there will work.

UPDATE: took a while but I found 3 part numbers for the housing.

61-13-8-352-304
61-13-1-378-114
61-13-1-378-115

realoem vehicle cross reference for the 1st number

Looks like the PDC uses this, and the E46 glovebox flashlight receptacle

check out part 15 here

damn thing costs $15 each!! insane. proprietary BMW design, used on cars, motorcycles...

UPDATE: SEE NEXT POST FOR MUCH CHEAPER SOLUTION. REQUIRES MINOR MOD TO 61-13-1-378-114 HOUSING. SOMEONE SHOULD CHECK 61-13-1-378-115 TOO. IT'S ALSO MUCH LESS EXPENSIVE

and the matching connector from the adapter module for comparison

So if you want this to be *absolutely* plug and play you also need to work the other end of your harness:

- replicate the lighter receptacle on your harness so that it accepts the car harness
- tee off a replacement connector for the front lighter

If you decide to connect to the front lighter, it's just a couple of spade connectors on the front lighter, so pretty easy to find standard connector parts that will work fine.

Two things to keep in mind
- front lighter is not switched - it's hot all the time. may be better to tap a switched wire depending on how you want to use these rear outlets. you will drain your battery with a bunch of stuff plugged in..

- don't try plugging in a bunch of stuff to all these outlets as they're all being fed off the front lighter and fuse. If you're a real bad @ss I suppose you could upgrade the lighter wire back to whatever fuse and relay is serving it :-)

Last edited by bradnic; 04-13-2013 at 08:32 PM.
bradnic is offline   Reply With Quote