View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 11:12 AM   #7
rapier7

My Ride: Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
But I am still interested in your view on "the more, the merrier". If the notion is that every (or the large majority) of individuals who wish to immigrate to this country are looking to work hard and be productive citizens, then sure, maybe it makes sense... but employment numbers of second and third generation Latinos does NOT really support that position. And that's where this idea falls apart. If you have tens of thousands of immigrants coming across the border every year, and if a disproportionate chunk of them (ie: a % above our national unemployment %) are doing so to simply collect unemployment, send their kids to public schools, and be a burden to our annual deficit, that's NOT helpful.

I've said for years that I am fine with legalizing those immigrants who are in the US right now, would like to work and pay taxes, and do NOT have any incarcerations. Those that have been locked up or are caught committing a crime need to be kicked out, that simple... no sense in spending taxpayer dollars to feed, warm, house, and clothe them in our prison system. BUUUUUT, I'm only fine offering this IF we first close off the border.. and that doesn't seem to be of interest to just about anyone in the democratic party. And you can't just start offering citizenship to anyone who steps foot in this country while we leave the back door wide open to Latinos and everyone else (think national security issues when a terrorist can ride a donkey into our country).
And let's say your statistics are valid. That immigrants rely more on welfare and government subsidies than natural born Americans. Let's look at a subsection of Americans who rely disproportionately on welfare and government subsidies: blacks. If your primary arguments is to exclude immigrants from this country because they leech off welfare, why not strip blacks of their citizenship and legal status? Or just deport anybody, black, white, Asian, or Hispanic on welfare?

The alternative is to instead reform public services so that people who are unproductive can't abuse them. I'm perfectly okay with gutting welfare.

You're advocating a government solution to solve a problem the government created in the first place. Somehow I don't think that's gonna work out. The real answer is to fix the problem where it is. Not to slap on additional restrictions and regulations to counterbalance bad restrictions and regulations elsewhere.

Quote:
There needs to be a secure border, control (and documentation) of who is coming and going for security purposes, and THEN we can have discussions in immigration.
Net illegal immigration has dropped to zero and may have even become negative. The fact is illegal immigration is highest when the economy is booming. That means people are looking for work.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have a streamlined, efficient, and quick process for integrating new workers into the economy instead of letting them illegally traverse the borders to find work at sub-par wages?

If every seasonal or temporary worker could come here legally, do you think they would rely on coyotes to move them across the border? That frees up border patrol to actually focus on people who have other reasons for evading legal authorities (drugs, terrorists, etc).

Ultimately, I believe immigrants came here to make a better life for themselves and their families. And that the vast majority choose to do so through an honest living. That makes us stronger, not weaker. And if they happen to have higher poverty and dependency rates than natural born Americans (the vast majority of whom are white), then that's okay, because eventually they'll integrate and establish themselves here.