View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013, 01:14 PM   #18
Mango
Grand Superpatriot Sport+

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grande D View Post
They were easier to install- and with poly you do not have to "replace often" as you say to do with rubber RTABs.

Alex, where I lived with my last ZHP (in PA) there is plenty of salt and snow. There is no problem with them from a grease/noise perspective in poor weather.

I wouldn't use poly anywhere else because other locations have a more dramatic impact on NVH. Although I have considered coupling poly FCABs with FSD shocks- but I don't think it's worth the effort to try it as it probably wouldn't work out that well.

My car with poly RTABs actually feels more stable in the back than an E36 M3 I drive regularly with more things replaced in the back and M3 RTABs with Limiters- though the difference is slight.

I used some washer/puller contraption to remove the old RTABs.

I do know jvit, and when I had my E36 M3 I respected his opinion quite a lot, but neither I nor a few other E46 M3 owners I hang out with have had any issues with poly RTABs. Also- E36 RTAB pockets are weak and I don't think correlation=causation from that standpoint.

I actually had the stock M3 bushings with limiters ready to install (again) on my last ZHP, and I got lazy and decided to give the Powerflex a shot. I don't regret it at all. When it came time to do RTABs on this one- the decision was Powerflex without question.

Have you really felt twitchy at the limit behavior from a car with poly RTABs? I doubt it.

I don't mean to call out Vorshlag- but binding sounds like improper/insufficient use of the copper anti-sieze, which is crucial with any poly bushing.
That E36 is a generation older. The rear end has a massive amount of balljoints and bushings in back. your newer ZHP likely has everything back there in way better condition. particularly the rear upper and lower inner control arm bushings. make sure you take that into account.

Doing the RTABs with the wrong tool is definitely a turn off to using rubber bushings. I was considering powerflex as well due to that reason alone. But with the right tool, the job is a dream and so are the results of using a rubber bushing.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote