Thread: Form Check
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2013, 10:55 PM   #14
z00

My Ride: E46 M3 Manual
Thanks for the detailed steps.

I have watched all parts of "so you think you can bench" series before. I learned a lot from it (eyes level, not to flare shoulders, etc...). I tried pressing with ball of my foot, but my quads get tense and numb which causes me to lose focus from my pecs. Using my heel works better for me. I naturally tend to arch my back as it feels better.

The one thing I did not do was keeping my posterior chain tight. Between these tips and the video Steve will upload hopefully I'll improve my form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DILLA View Post
Every bench set for me:
-Attain grip position (pinkies on the ring for me)

-pull chest to bar and pinch shoulder blades together, locking them in and setting myself back down (keep them locked through lift)

-arch back, feet will be pulled closer to your head, your knees will be below your waist line and toes(balls of your feet) will be touching (this eliminates any butt lift, you cant lift your ass even if you tried in this position if you are doing it right)

-hold air in chest (still breathing though!) bring bar down to sternum line controlled, drive through the balls of your feet, through your lats, and through your chest. (YES! this is a full body excercise!) Keep your core and locked shoulder blades tight!

Flat back, flat footed benching is only asking for future shoulder problems. The best videos I've seen that accurately depict how to bench properly are the "so you think you can bench" series.
z00 is online now   Reply With Quote