View Single Post
Old 05-07-2004, 10:23 PM   #13
darth

My Ride: 323i
water pump replacement

I am mobile again.

Ok so I changed my water pump this after noon. I started at 4 pm and the old pump was off the engine by 4:05 pm. (My drive belt had been torn to shreds by the water pump pulley. All I had left were little bits of rubber and a really long thin wire.)

1. Water Pulley bolt
2. Water Pulley
3. Water pump
4. O-ring, included with pump
5. Nut

The pump is held on by 4 nuts (red arrows). Simply remove them and then get 2 M6 screws and put them in the threaded holes and tighten them in. (white arrows). You can skip this and simply pullout the pump, but since I had my fan off I didn't want the pump to go flying into my radiator os I opted for caution.

Lube the o-ring on the new pump with some coolant to help with installation. Mount the pump on to the 4 threaded studs and then tighten the nuts.
Pump was installation was done by 4:15 pm.

Next step was to put my drive and ac belts back on. ac belt = no brainer. drive belt = headache.

The Bentley manual is wrong, as previously mentioned before by others. The tensioner bolt is under the cap on the ilder pointed here,
30 mintues later, the job was done.

I hope this helps. Let me know if there are any questions. I apolpgize for the crappy posting, I don't know how to get pictures to show up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water pump assy1.jpg
Views:	18420
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	76843   Click image for larger version

Name:	water pump assy.jpg
Views:	17966
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	76844   Click image for larger version

Name:	water pump assy2.jpg
Views:	19011