another thumbs up for this DIY! The '99 323i with 185k threw the 1188 and 1189 codes a couple weeks back. Even though I had checked the hose 3 months ago, I could feel that it was still the original factory hose with the poorly designed 90 degree elbow, so I got one ordered and installed. Everything went great! There was just a small hole about the size of a popcorn kernal at the end of the elbow, and the rubber was soft and disintegrating. The hardest part of the job was getting the old hose off the dipstick tube, I ended up using a box cutter to split it lengthwise and it came off fine after that.
The power steering hose doesn't need to get moved at all. The 2 electrical connectors are easily moved and provide enough access to get to the fitting. 30 min job.