View Single Post
Old 12-17-2013, 11:46 PM   #49
CSP

My Ride: m54
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveightandten View Post
I'm not "feeding" you anything. You asked what was illegal about it, I answered. Personally, I don't need the DOT to tell me what's safe and what isn't. I did enough research to figure that out for myself. I run retrofitted TSX projectors in my E36 M3, which is illegal and no aspect of that setup has been DOT approved. But the light output is safe, doesn't blind oncoming drivers, and the electrical demands of the ballasts are well within the design specs of the wiring in my car. Still, it's illegal. But, not to sound like an ass...but not everyone researches things to the level I did before deviating from stock. This was something that took weeks to do.

Again, i'm generalizing here. There are clearly different types of halogen projectors, and different types of HID capsules. Some hotspot worse than others. Some combinations throw so much stray light that people around you can barely see where they're going. Some, although not optimal, are acceptable. But this variation is the reason why I bring it into the discussion. Things that are DOT legal have been tested and perform as designed. When you deviate from that, you're on your own. And let's be honest, a lot of people have no idea what they're doing when they play engineer.

That output may or may not be acceptable. It's tough to tell with it shining on a wall in the garage a few feet away. As a comparison, here's my TSX retrofit shining a good few hundred feet out (I don't know of any PNP kit that retains this level of uniformity)...

And zoomed in...

I don't recall mentioning anything at all about quality, about DDM, or about Morimoto. The goal of my post was to explain why you can't just throw an HID capsule into any old projector, and what the differences are between halogen and HID optics (to a degree).

I'm not telling people not to reengineer things. The entire enthusiast community is based on things like that. However, I am saying that people should understand things before they attempt to reengineer them. The vast majority of the people that buy PNP Kits don't understand what it is they're actually buying and don't understand the difference between that, and something with proper optics. The vendors do not explain that you can (not always, but CAN) yield output that's bad for other drivers and in some cases actually *worse* than their stock halogen output. Again, the key here is understanding what you're doing.
Apologies for the bluntness of the "feeding me the DOT" stuff. I just view the DOT legality the same as you.

Beyond that, highly informative post. your bringing it into the discussion is valid in this instance. But are hotspots or flare really that bad compared to putting them in a halogen housing? Maybe I'm just severely underestimating the effects of flare? So if he's putting his DDM ballast onto a stock xenon there's no issue, correct?

The quality part was more directed at Mango.

Although, Mango, why are halogens capable of a cleaner retrofit?
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote