View Single Post
Old 12-17-2013, 11:53 PM   #51
fiveightandten

My Ride: '03 330ci / '98 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Actually that's along the lines what I was thinking but things are swinging the other way for the E46 OE HID projectors. Turns out they're geared for long-range high speed driving whereas all the projectors you mention are really showy for immediate foreground lighting but not good for long range. This is just what I've heard. I've also been told this by TerraPhantm, our resident lighting platinum wizard. Some people in the community are actually favoring OE e46 units (even on other cars/retrofits) over TSX, replica etc.

I love my OE units on a pitch black road at high speed... especially with all the new parts (both OEM and aftermarket) and coding I threw at it.

At the end of the day though it all comes down to projector size and tuning. Long range or foreground. (ideally both)
I can't say i've noticed them being better at long range visibility. The TSX in my E36, at least from my experience, are better at everything. Though, admittedly, my E46 headlight lenses are original 136K mile pieces of plastic. It's probably time to replace those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
2 things I regret about my car

Halogen lights
Automatic

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I was very close to pulling the trigger on an auto, with plans to swap. Most guys around here have a manual. But out in the real world, they're not as common.

I searched for about 6 weeks before I found a sport package coupe in nice shape in a color I wanted (red, blue, white, or black) with a manual. And I drove across 4 states to get it.

Swap the MT in when reverse decides to go.