View Single Post
Old 02-01-2014, 10:10 PM   #1
Boondockz

My Ride: 1999 323i
e39 dome light w/map lights & mood lights swap

Hey folks,

Just back from pick and pull & I'm chopping up my electrical system!! Woo.

I plan to update with pics, but the story go's i just bought a 99 323i, 180k on the odo so some things need a fixn.

The dome light was one of those things, it didnt work at all but the button turned the rear cabin lights on.

While at a local scrapyard I came apon a e39 of similar year, and it had a sweet dome lightt with the map lights for driver and passenger that i didnt have. so i pulled it, along with a dimmer mirror & floormats.

Score under 20$ for it all the mirror and floor mats were plug and play but i had to go back for the wireing harness for the e39 dome light.

It was not plug and play, had 5 wires instead of my cars four. But all the colors were the same for the four with an addition of a red w/yellow stripe wire.

So of course I grabbed some snips and hacked the stock harness off leaving some room should I need to reconnect it.

Then hooked the four wires from the new harness up the their counterpart on my car.

Then I taped up the end of the now unconnected fifth wire ( the red & yellow striped one) and reconnected my battery.

Bam All the lights work except the map/ mood lights.

So, disconnected the battery and added the red wire with the yellow stripe to the other red wire that has a blue stripe. And presto the moods come on with the running lights, the map lights work ( only when the main one is on tho). The electronic lock lights it up and everything. Stoked.

Hope this helps someone out.

I should mention the remote lock function from my key isn't working now, unlock still is... I can't believe that this could be the cause tho, & my battery is so dead in this key it regularly won't work at all.
Boondockz is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.