View Single Post
Old 12-02-2004, 09:54 PM   #1
Moeser09

My Ride: 2k1 M3
DIY Wiring Harness for CCFL angel eyes kits

Ok - these are the DIY instructions on how to build a wiring harness using a relay (with key remote option) if youre CCFL Angel Eyes kit didn't come with a wiring harness (usually the ebay kits - they only come with 4 CCFLs and two inverter boxes and instructions saying to wire to the parking lights). Credit given to everyone who pioneered these mods in the first place.

You will need these things (prices for what I paid - your cost may vary - especially if you have to buy packs of things like fuses):

PARTS:
One (1) 40 Amp 12 Volt SPDT relay with socket ($7.04)
Five (5) Female spade connectors to go into the sockets ($0.81)
Two (2) T-taps ($1.26)
Four (4) pairs of male/female bullet splice connectors ($0.77)
One (1) butt connector ($0.12)
Two (2) watertight fuse holders ($4.31)
Two (2) 5 Amp fuses ($0.60)
Two (2) Ring connectors ($0.30)
Lots of Wire - I used 4 colors (black, red, blue and green) and used about $6 worth of wire. You can use either 16 or 18 guage, but make sure you get the right connectors for the guage. On the T-taps, you might have to fold the wire over to make it bulky enough to get a good crimp. About $7 dollars worth of wire

Roughly about $22.25 in parts (you'll actually pay a little more if you have to buy certain things in bulk - i.e. most the connectors). I think I spent a little over $27 today for parts I didn't have (I had some wire, butt connectors and the fuses - so the cost if you had to buy everything would be about $35).

Braided fabric high temperature wire wrapping/sleeving (I didn't have any, but it's useful to hold the wires together. I'm not sure on the cost - I found a place online that was $0.25/foot but you had to buy some pretty big quantities. You might be able to find them at computer shops too.

TOOLS:
Crimping tool/plier/snips
Electrical tape (optional if you want to clean up the wiring)

TIME: Approximately 1.5 hours if you work fairly carefully.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Parts.JPG
Views:	2920
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	100827  

Last edited by Moeser09; 12-02-2004 at 10:07 PM.
Moeser09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.