View Single Post
Old 01-24-2005, 11:20 PM   #39
LAFENGAS
www.thielstudios.com

My Ride: 330ci
Send a message via AIM to LAFENGAS
Wow, i idn't even know this thread existed 'til now

Alright... I'll try to answer some questions and misconceptions here...

Frist a little history. I made this piece for myself because I purchased a Pioneer Navigation unit, wanted the touch screen, but didn't want to lose my factory head unit. I personally don't smoke and only used my "sunglasses" compartment for pens. It seemed like an ideal spot for my Navigation touch screen.

So I made a mold (which was needed for my process to form the Carbon Fiber)

The picture posted is my unit and the first unit I made. I only used a flat black spray paint with some added texture to get what you see... I didn't do much researching to get the actual plastic to match 100%, I CAN find a better alternative... such as the application used for the other dash piece mentioned in this thread, not a problem.

1.) it's Made of Carbon Fiber. I used Carbon Fiber only because I have a lot of it handy and do other projects using this material. It is not a piece made of plastic.

2.) It DOES NOT HAVE TO HAVE A LCD SCREEN. The unit will be made as a "blank". It'll have a hole cut out for the factory button strip and the rest will be left as "open space". This open space can be used for whatever you wish, I can't custom make one application that will suit everybody's needs.

You can put gauges, head units, whatever you wish in this area. There is a reasonable amount of room behind this trim piece to put a lot of things. The actual USUABLE area on the faceplate is 7.625" x 4.25"

cliff note:

Faceplate has a pre cut hole to accomodate the button strip, Over 7 1/2" x 4" area is left open for YOUR creativity, what ever you wish to put in its place.

As far as pricing goes, I gave Jon a number that I would like to receive given the amount of material, overhead costs, and about 4hrs of physical labor to make these worth my time. I enjoy doing this kind of work, it's a hobby and I take a lot of pride in my craftsmanship. If you don't like it or it doesn't suit your needs, that's fine, I understand. But I know several people who wish to keep their Factory Business Head unit and have no other alternative for increasing the ammount of usable dash space.

Bottom line is it's a hand made custom piece using quality materials, I've seen lesser go for a lot more here on the forums.

Here's what the piece would look like as a "BLANK" (minus the hole cut for the factory button strip)

Everybody's oppinions are welcome. I know not everybody can use this particular item, i just wish one was available when I needed it. It would have saved me a lot of time, money, and aggravation.

Last edited by LAFENGAS; 01-24-2005 at 11:24 PM.
LAFENGAS is offline   Reply With Quote