Thread: Alpine CDA-7998
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2002, 09:23 PM   #9
whjeffs

My Ride: 04 Silver Gray 330Ci
Quote:
Originally posted by DamUTRIPPIN
Almost ALL the Alpine head units made in the last 5 years (at least) have the ability to switch from amber/green illumination. That way the unit will match with most dashes, whether it be Japanese or German.

The device that allows you to retain your steering wheel radio controls is made by PAC I believe the model is the SWI-X.

The only current Alpine models listed in their Summer 2002 brochure that have dual illumination (Green/Amber) buttons are the 7998, 7894, and 7996. I wish I could get the 7995 with amber buttons instead of the blue because the silver face of that model would look good with my titanium dash trim.

As for the steering wheel control, yes you are correct. I did find out something interesting though. If you look at Alpine's European website some of the head units that they sell over there have the ability to directly interface with our cars' steering wheel controls without the need for a remote eye to send the signals to the radio. There is a connector on the radio itself that plugs into an interface for your particualr vehicle (they have many applications). I wish we could get this also.

Jeff
04 Silver Gray 330Ci
Alpine ics-x7HD
a/d/s 346is
JL Audio 300/2
JL Audio 500/1
(2) Image Dynamics ID8V.3-D4
whjeffs is offline   Reply With Quote