View Single Post
Old 07-14-2005, 07:46 PM   #90
Detailed Image
Sponsor

My Ride: Audi S4
Send a message via AIM to Detailed Image
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang1
On an E46 Convertible, what product do you recommend for the convertible fabric roof? After some research, I've found out you need to first wash then condition the roof. What product/s do you recommend for this and what kind of applicator?

Any tips on how to clean the roof? IN the past I've just used plain water and sponge but it's time I cleaned it properly.

Thank you.
Hey mustang1,

I'm going to pull this off of our how-to section from my site and if you have any further questions don't hesitate to ask!

Proper care for your convertible soft top takes some time and effort, but is worth it in the long run. You can extend the life of your soft top, prevent leaks, increase resale value, and keep it looking like you drove it off of the lot the very first day with a little bit of care for your vehicle. The first step in treating your convertible is to determine what material your soft top is made of: Canvas (fabric) or Vinyl.

Product Checklist:
- Automotive Shampoo (non-oil based)
- Soft Bristle Brush
- Convertible Top Cleaner (Vinyl or Canvas)
- Newspaper, Garbage Bags, etc.
- Waffle Weave Microfiber Towel
- Convertible Top Protectant (Vinyl or Canvas)
- Masking Tape

Convertible Top Cleaning:
1. Spray down top w/ steady stream of water
2. Shampoo top using an automotive shampoo that is non-detergent based and does not contain oils
3. Use a soft bristled upholstery brush to loosen particles embedded in vinyl or canvas. Do NOT scrub the rear window as it may scratch the surface
4. Rinse off the top and blot dry with a waffle weave microfiber towel
5. Use a soft top specific cleaner to remove any additional stains
6. Rinse with steady stream of water
7. Blot dry with microfiber towel. Do NOT wipe

Protecting Canvas Tops
1. Start with the Convertible Top Cleaning step for a fresh surface
2. Protect your paint and windows first by covering them with items such as newspaper, garbage bag, etc. and masking tape
3. Shake cleaner vigorously to ensure proper product distribution
4. Starting from the center and working out to the masked off edges apply a light coat onto the canvas top holding can approximately 6 8
5. Let the product sit for X* amount of time before applying 2nd coat
(*check product specifications on bottle, if nothing specified let product sit for a half hour)
6. Repeat steps 4 - 6 for a second coat paying special attention to the seams and creases
7. Remove protective masking

We offer two primary brands (303 and Renovo) when it comes to convertible top cleaning and for what its worth I've found their cleaners to be about the same, but I personally like the Renovo as the proofer over 303's Fabric Guard.

Here is a link to our canvas convertible top cleaning items:

Click to view Canvas Top Cleaning

Hope that helps!

George

Wash & Dry Products, Clay Bars, Polishes, Sealants, and Waxes
10offe46 - Discount Code for 10% Off for e46fanatics members
Detail University - Detailing Enthusiast Discussion Forum
Detailed Image is offline   Reply With Quote