View Single Post
Old 05-08-2002, 09:44 PM   #1
jason330i
moderation in all things

My Ride: 2002 330i
Axxis/Mintex rattling info...

A few months ago, I installed dustless brake pads on my 02 330i. I have Axxis in the front and Mintex in the rear. I've had them for a few months and everything was great. Recently I started hearing a rattling sound coming from the rear. The sound only occured when traveling over bumpy roads. At first I thought it was a loose exhaust or something.

Took it to the dealer today and they said that the rattling was coming from my rear brake pads. I was skeptical at first, since everyone I talked to did not believe it.

Well, just took look at the driver's side rear brake and yes, indeed, the inside brake pad is loose. You can actually "jiggle" it parallel to the rotor and hear it clank against the caliper. It was the same rattling noise I was hearing.

I pulled the pads out, expanded the clips so that it would fit tighter in the caliper (don't know if that did anything) and added a bunch more anti-squeal solution.

I think this is only a temporary solution and I believe in time the pad will come loose again. I think the best thing to do is use an anti-squeal solution that hardens like glue as mentioned in a previous post.

I don't know why the Mintex pad jiggles, but I'll talk to Karl and see what he says.

you sir, are a
jason330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.