12V Constant & Switched Power
I know this sort of question has been asked before - but I have searched all the forums and can't find an answer that addresses my needs. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it.
I have a 2003 E46 M3, and have fitted a speed camera detector. I have the GPS aerial on the back shelf, a laser detector on the headlining by the rear-view mirror and the display unit on a Brodit Proclip over the driver-side air vent.
The control unit is behind the steering-wheel panel.
Everything works fine, but at the moment I am running it from the cigarette lighter. I need a source of 12V switched and constant power, as well as a good grounding spot. There are quite a few thread all over the place about this, but none of them really do the trick.
1) Power from sunroof/garage-opener. No good, I don't have a sunroof, and there is no removable panel in the headliner.
2) Power from back of radio. I have MkIV Nav system, and I can't for the life of me get it out. I have had all the trim and the vents out, but I can't release the (I assume) spring clips holding it in.
3) Power from armrest console (i.e. telephone harness). Possible, but I don't really want to be ripping all that out.
4) Power from trunk/boot - seems like an awful long way to go.
5) Power from ignition wires - this seems like the best bet, but the only DIY I found on it was for a 330, and the red/green wires he referred to don't seem to be under the panel under the steering wheel. The only wires I can see are for the OBD.
Anyone have any input or ideas?
Thanks in advance