Easter Eggs collected
Easter Eggs I’ve collected from the board… in no certain order…
1. When the temperature drops below 37 F degrees, the car beeps to let you know to watch out for icy roads. Also, the rear defroster comes on.
2. You can read the odometer with the car off; all you have to do is press the needle on the left.
3. When car is off, hit the volume knob on the radio the radio turns on (it only works with 02 decks)
4. There is a "secret" compartment underneath my car's armrest and a Coin box in center console.
5. There is a trunk release right above the hood release (not on all cars)
6. There is an exterior trunk release above the license plate and under the ledge.
7. There is flashlight in the glove box.
8. There are amber lights that shine on the center console.
9. You can change radio station on the steering wheel by holding up/down button longer to scan to next station rather than preset ones.
Interior lights can be turn off when you open/close door or shut the engine down.
10. The two knobs on the center control panel are to reset the short trip mileage and the other one is for changing the time on the clock and changing the time from army time (24 hour time) to normal time. And you could also switch the temperature display both on the dash and on the climate control between Fahrenheit and Celsius.
11. You may be able to auto-roll down of windows from the remote control. Another way is to put the key in the door handle and turn to the unlock position and hold it there. This will also open and close the moon roof or put a convertible top down.
12. If you push the unlock button on the remote once it will unlock the driver door, for ‘02s if you push the unlock button on the remote twice it will unlock all the doors…then once all that is done.... push and hold the unlock button on the remote the windows will start to roll down... then the sunroof will open too.
13. If you hit the 'counter reset button' with the ignition in position 2 (or very quickly when you start your car), then it will show you when you are due to change your brake fluid!
14. There is also a first aid kit under the passengers seat.
15. There is a compartment by your leg when you are in the drivers seat. The compartment is on your left if in a LHD, and on your right if in RHD (located next to your knee).
16. The safety strip along each window and sunroof that detects obstructions and retracts them. (Along with a timer that prevents the motors from burning out if in use too long).
17. The OEM side mirrors are designed with slats and ridges to reduce wind noise.
18. The airbag system is 2 stage deployable depending on if the seat belts are latched. If there is no passenger, that front airbag wont even go off to save repair costs. (Along with the explosive seatbelt tensioners).
19. The radio, sunroof, and other "ignition" triggered accessories are available for a period of time after the car is turned off until a door is opened.
20. The fact that the car goes into "sleep" mode after 16 minutes of inactivity to reduce battery drain and eliminate dead batteries from "left on" accessories (lights, etc).
21. The suspension is designed to limit body dive under hard braking, instead the entire chassis dives evenly for stability.
22. The A/C compressor has a variable displacement thrust plate to eliminate the shock load of compressor cycling and use varies depending on need and load.
23. Flashing the high beams after ignition is turned off will leave the headlamps on for a preset amount of time for security while parking the vehicle.
24. The Keyless Entry system utilizes antennae in the rear window, change key codes every time, will deactivate keys if a key is pressed too many times without response from the car, the key recharges while in the ignition switch, and they store all sorts of presets, from seat positions to IHKA control settings.
25. The radio remembers the settings separate for each input. (E.g., CD input can have the bass/treble/balance/fade settings different from the F.M. radio)
26. Left Side Mirror will tilt in reverse (check to make sure your mirror selection switch is in center or left position to use this feature)
Door locks that engage when you go 8 Miles per hour (Dealer need to turn this feature on).
27. As some of you may know, the BMW On-Board Computer (OBC) holds more functions than is documented, including a very nice instrument panel test. I managed to get a lot of this information from the web, but it was far from complete. Subsequently I asked my dealer for the missing info, but they could not provide the complete list either. Following is a list for the items I could find, they work in my car (E46 323i). I gather most of them also work in the E36 models. Who can tell what the missing entries represent (especially functions
9.1, 9.2 and 9.3 which are very mysterious)?
Instructions to access the hidden OBC functions:
1. Hold Trip Reset while turning ignition key to on position
2. OBC should show "Test"
3. Use Trip Reset to select function 19.0 that unlocks all the features
3. Wait for display to show "Off"
4. Depress Trip Reset for 1/4 second and release it
5. With no delay press Trip Reset several times to select one of the following function s
BMW E46 On-Board Computer (OBC) Hidden Codes
nr example description
1 Car Engine and cluster data
1.0 46nnn Chassis nr/VIN serial number (last 5 digits)
1.1 4nnn K-number
1.2 690236 Cluster Part #
1.3 045210 Coding (04)/diagnosis (52)/bus index (10)
1.4 1200 Week (12)/year of manufacture (2000)
1.5 09_160 Hardware (09) and software # (16.0) of cluster
1.6 Not used
1.7 04__44 CAN-version (04) KI-revision index (44)
2 (test) Cluster System Test - Activates the gauge drivers,
indicators and LEDs to confirm function
3 SI Data
3.0 1098 Used fuel in liters since last SI (Service Inspection)
3.1 0231 Periodic inspection days; elapsed days (since last SI)
4 Momentary Consumption
4.0 0145+ Instant fuel consumption - 0145=14.5 liters/100km
4.1 0018 Instant fuel consumption - 0018=1.8 l/Hour
5 Distance Gone Consumption
5.0 082 Average mileage; 082=8.2 liters/100km
5.1 0536 Calc. km to refuel (momentary distance to go)
6 Fuel Level sensor inputs in liters
6.0 109330+ Fuel level averaged; Left half sensor input=10.9 liters; Right sensor input=33.0 liters
6.1 0439+ Total tank level averaged; vlgs 6.0: 10.9+33.0=43.9 liters
6.2 0442+ Indicated value (44.2) and tank phase
7 Temperature and Speed
7.0 021+ Coolant/Engine temperature (2.1C)
7.1 130 Ambient/Outside temperature - chg met 5 pts. 125/130/135
7.2 + Engine speed / Current RPMs 1/min
7.3 + Vehicle speed / Current Speed in km/hour
8 Input value in HEX form
8.0 1d0+ System voltage ADC-Value Hex code
8.1 26C33C+ ADC Values HG left/HG right
8.2 0000 ADC Value brake degradation sensor (000=o.k.)
8.3 18C ADC Value outside temperature
9.0 140 Battery Voltage - 140 = UB 14.0v
10 Not used
11 Not used
12 Not used
13 GonG Gong Test
14 Not used
15 Status cluster I/O-ports (bit codes) 0=low; 1=high
1st-belt contact, seat belt fastened=0; 2) ignition lock contact, key inserted=0; 3) door contact, door open=0; 4) clock button pressed=0; 5) SI reset=0, for reset=0; 6) EGS transmission failure=0
Status Digital Outputs (bits) 0=inactive, 1=active
1) Gong output; 2) Brake warning lamp; 3) Low fuel warning lamp; 4) EGA lamp; 5) seat belt lamp; 6) manipulation dot
16 Not used
17 Not used
18 Not used
19 Lock Status; unlocks functions in range 3-18
19.0 L-On/L-Off Unlock: press button when "L-Off"
20 Not used
21 Software Reset; reset OBC settings
00 End of test