View Single Post
Old 02-28-2006, 12:01 PM   #3
Banned

My Ride: M3SMG 330ci Euro E30
Send a message via AIM to 195 Send a message via MSN to 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow323ci
I looked at replacing my 22 year old ADS L1290's with some Martin-Logan's but they didn't sound as good. I shopped long and hard and ended up keeping my old speakers, nothing for less than $4k sounded as good to my ears.

The only flat panel speakers I've heard that I like the sound of are old Apogee full range ribbons. I auditioned a pair of Apogee Full Range's back in 1986 and that still stands as the best sound reproduction I've ever heard. They were $9,000 in 1986 and I didn't have that kind of money back then. Not to mention the cost of amplification that is stable under < 1 ohm loads... We were talking a $20k stack of Levinson or Krell electronics to drive those puppies.

I don't like Martin-Logans, don't like Quads, don't like Magnepans. I like the looks of the M-L's, but the sound seems really lacking, esp. for the price.
Thanks for the opinion on the martin logans. I think they look the best as well. But i'm surprised to hear you say you don't like the Quads. You are talking about the original Quads? A lot of people say those are the best speakers ever made. I have never heard them in person so I don't know.
195 is offline   Reply With Quote