View Single Post
Old 03-08-2006, 09:25 PM   #5
blownE30M3

My Ride: 2004 JB M3
Send a message via AIM to blownE30M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by brew
I'm not quite sure what you said. But after thinking about it I'm guessing that a well defined centralized image cannot be created (i) when the L and R front speakers are poorly positioned, or (ii) when the viewer is sitting outside the ideal viewing area. Someone sitting way to one side, for example, would not hear a centralized image - they would hear dialogue come from the closer speaker and think "WTF?".

In if this is the case then I think it's fair to say that the central channel is unnecessary if the viewers sit between the two speakers and the speakers are properly positioned. In that case, the viewer will hear a pinpoint image as good as, or better, than can be created by the center channel. For a 5.1 signal, the center channel info can just be fed through the L and R front speakers.
Indeed. Out of place and not tuned can be hazardous to sound imagind and reflection. But then that depends on the speaker type as well. The center channel is very neccesary as it is the focal point of all direct audio. Try this. Try hooking all your speakers up including the center, play a movie, listen for a bit and unplug the center. See what happens.

Home Automation and A/V Programming
http://www.xsdesignstudios.com
blownE30M3 is offline   Reply With Quote