View Single Post
Old 03-09-2006, 03:26 PM   #7
James330I
Imported Redneck

My Ride: BMW baby 330i 5spd
Send a message via AIM to James330I
Quote:
Originally Posted by brew
I'm not quite sure what you said. But after thinking about it I'm guessing that a well defined centralized image cannot be created (i) when the L and R front speakers are poorly positioned, or (ii) when the viewer is sitting outside the ideal viewing area. Someone sitting way to one side, for example, would not hear a centralized image - they would hear dialogue come from the closer speaker and think "WTF?".

In if this is the case then I think it's fair to say that the central channel is unnecessary if the viewers sit between the two speakers and the speakers are properly positioned. In that case, the viewer will hear a pinpoint image as good as, or better, than can be created by the center channel. For a 5.1 signal, the center channel info can just be fed through the L and R front speakers.
but wouldn't a movie mixed for 5.1 lose some of its dynamics when you combine L/C/R and remove the Center. Sound editors put 80% of sound information on the center channel. Channel seperation would be awful if you took it away and tried to intergrate Ctr info on your L and R speakers

(i.e. when a plane passes by and you can hear and feel it coming from extreme left, across the screen and then out the right speaker...I would say channel seperation would be important for effects like that)

2001 Dinan 330I 5spd (gone..what an awesome car)
2013 335i 6spd M-sport
2013 Infiniti M37S

James330I is offline   Reply With Quote