View Single Post
Old 04-05-2006, 04:41 PM   #31
TeKNiC3

My Ride: 330i.M3.aBox.996TT
Send a message via AIM to TeKNiC3
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow323ci
One thing I like about CR as a source of information is that they are not emotionally involved with any of the products they test. They approach everything as if it was a ho-hum aplliance. I hate their car reviews because of that but appreciate that they cut through a lot of the BS.

When I bought my TV I looked at every information source I could find. I could afford to buy any TV on the market, but I don't like to waste my money. So if someone is willing to spend 25% more on a Pioneer TV that has a picture that is literally a hair better (if that) for HD programming, and significantly WORSE on standard-def programming, hey, it's a free country.

But to say that CR (which has an video testing facility that would embarass most A/V magazines) is a bad source of information is completely ignorant.
Since this is a car forum, look at it this way:

Our cars can run 14 second quarter mile pretty easily with some mods, but getting the extra 1-2 second off to make our cars run a 12-13 second quarter mile would require a lot more money. FI, weight reductions, etc that will cost a whole lot more money. That 1-2 second to someone that can careless about a car would mean nothing, but to a car guy, it is big deal.

Same with Pioneer vs Panasonic, the difference is there, it is just down to how much you're willing to spend for the better product.

[QUOTE=slow323ci]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oie77
I think they'd come out and look at it, and then tell you there's nothing wrong with it. They certainly won't do an ISF calibration. You should spend $20 on the Avia DVD and adjust it yourself.
If you think a AVIA disk will do the same job as a true ISF calibration.....