View Single Post
Old 06-01-2006, 01:52 AM   #20
ADA
Banned

My Ride: 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsmax
I would imagine you would need a new windshield with the rain sensor contact field built in, no?

Yes and No

1) I already have the "rain sensor" windshield. I replaced my front windshield because there was a crack. I decided to spend a few extra dollar and get a ran sensor windshield

2) Technically, you don't need a "rain sensor" windshield. The only MAJOR difference between a non rainsensor and a rain sensor windshield is a piece of IR plastic/lense/filter that the rain sensor connects to. This is just a piece of plastic (purplish/bluish in color). See attached picture.

Unfortunately, BMW doesn't sell this "IR Plastic/lense/filter thingy" individually. BMW only sells it together as a package on their windshield.

You can go around this buy buying the "IR plastic/lens/filter thingy" from a yunk yard. It is secure to the windsheild by adhesive. Some windowshop also sell this thingy as extra spare parts.

HOW IT WORKS:
The rain sensor sent out a light and it gets refractive/refective back to the sensor. The sensor will compute the caluculations and if the refraction/reflection is withing a certain range, the wiper then will activate.

JARED.

Hey, I wish you and I live closer. I will hook you up with xenon auto-level retrofit and we can work together on the RAIN SENSOR and Tire pressure retrofit.

P.S Before you waste any more money on the OEM Tire Pressure system, I highly recommend going through an aftermarket company. Smartire.com sells the best tire monitor pressuring systems. BMW uses a inferior technology. Smartire uses an active techniques than even shows you the temperature and pressure of each tire. they have a cool "display unit." I am going to cut a hole on my trim and install the unit like the way the LCM fits our car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rain sensor.jpg
Views:	861
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	182206  
ADA is offline   Reply With Quote