View Single Post
Old 09-17-2006, 06:15 PM   #8
vert

My Ride: MINI Cooper Hatch
Send a message via AIM to vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by croat View Post
vert, use the tool and return it. say you didn't need it ro something like that.

also, please give us some insight on the DIY as I want to replace mine. Bought M3 ones from Autohaus also.
Just finished the diy. Took about 2 hours for both sides by myself. To summarize difficulty level, if you can replace front lower control arm bushings then you can do this. Notice i said bushings only and not the control arms. This is definitely a lot easier than doing the arms. I am very glad that i decided to try this myself instead of going to the shop. BUT - this assumes that you have the special tool that i used or something similar. I would not try to attempt this without it.. period. I read all the threads here talkig about drilling, sawing, cutting and that definitely is not worth my time.

I used this great writeup http://www.unitedbimmer.com/kb-e36-r...rmbrushing.php I did not have the same problems as the guy in the post with my RTAB puller and i did not have to use a drill. Everything pressed out and pressed in easily without any drama. I sprayed some wd-40 on the old bushings prior to pulling them, so that helped.

I am posting pictures below. If anybody needs this tool and does not want to drop $115 dollars like i did for a one-time job, contact me at arthur91(at)hotmail(dot)com and maybe we can work something out with a rental.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Starting to remove old bushing.jpg
Views:	1990
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	196105   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 Almost out.jpg
Views:	1474
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	196106   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 Old & new bushings.jpg
Views:	1362