View Single Post
Old 11-22-2006, 04:05 PM   #1
Registered User
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,015
My Ride: 88' BMW E30 SETA
Send a message via AIM to Ivegotissues666
DIY: Meyle Control Arms w/replaceable balljoints

Ok I'd thought I'd share with everyone my experience thus far with Meyle's control arms with replaceable balljoints. Hopefully they outlast the standard OEM ones, but so far the steering has been noticably tighter compared to when I got new control arms less than 2 years ago.

Anyways the tools for this job:

2 jack stands
Torque Wrench
Philips Head scewdriver
16mm socket
19mm open ended wrench
22mm open ended wrench
22mm socket
Pickle Fork
3 lb hammer

3 jaw puller (Not neccesary but helpful)
Possibly some extensions (3 feet not neccesary but helpful)

And some grease (white lithum will work just fine)

New Control Arms:

Urethene Bushings (Which ended up being too small):

OEM Carriers w/bushings:

Step 1:

Jack up car and place on jack stands and remove wheels (Removing wheels isn't neccessary but makes it alot easier.

Step 2:

Remove Plastic under covering peices via the 6 philips head screw

Step 3:

Remove Engine/chassis brace (Once again not neccessary but allows for more clearance) using the 16mm socket

Step 4:

Unbolting the the control arms, first remove the 2 - 16mm bolts on both sides mounting the carrier busshing to the frame. Then at the inner balljoint bolts use either a 22mm socket or open ended wrench to loosen them.

I had no problem getting a socket w/ small ratchet on the pass side but on the drivers side I got it form the top of the engine using extensions going through the empty spaces. However though you can easily get the drivers side inner nut off with a 22mm open ended wrench.

Ivegotissues666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE membership to remove this ad.