Driver side P46 DDE blowing fuses
I noticed my DDEs weren't working today so I checked the fuse and sure enough it was out. Just a fuse, I figured, so I drove down to Kragen and picked up a pack of 5. So I replaced the fuse and turned on my car to see if that fixed it.
Nope, DDEs still out. Checked the fuse... blown. Bad fuse? I put another one in, turn on the car again this one blew also.
So next I disconnect both ballasts and the wires for the DDEs and put in a new fuse. I check for possible shorts, but don't find any.
1. HIDs have no issues, both work when DDEs are not connected and does not blow fuse.
2. Only Passenger side ballast and DDE connected, no problems, both work and fuse does not blow.
3. Only Driver side ballast and DDE connected, HID works, DDEs do not, fuse blows. Bad driver side ballast? Maybe...
4. Swap ballasts, using driver side ballast only on passenger side HID and DDE, both work, no fuse blown.
5. Using passenger side ballast on the driver side HID and DDE, HID works, DDEs do not, fuse is blown.
So ballasts seem good. Could the problem be the relay? If so, where can I get a replacement? I don't know anything about relays other that what the one I have looks like.
The P46s are ~5 months old and this is the first problem I've come across so far.
Any idea what the problem could be?
Last edited by Aerick; 02-11-2007 at 10:42 PM.