View Single Post
Old 04-18-2007, 02:23 PM   #29
theribdoctor

Location: ze south floriduh close to the mouth of the rat Status: I am creepy /// fact: I was the ska king, and no, you can't call me that, well except maybe the chad and Dave
My Ride: MB W204
Send a message via AIM to theribdoctor

allright, due to popular demand...
here it is...
the rib doctor's rib recipe...

Ingredients:

dry rub..

Salt
pepper
garlic powder
mustard powder
fresh basil(optional)
brown sugar(optional)

sauce:

take at least 2 of your favorite store bought sauces...

I use Bulls Eye and Stubbs original...
sometimes I'll add a little soy Vay terriyaki...

add some orange zest...
a few drops of tabasco or your favorite hot sauce...
Onion flakes...

Make sure to have enough to use for dipping...

steps: the night before, clean your ribs...wash, pat dry with a towel, and remove that membrane on the backside...otherwise it shrinks while cooking and get's tough...

cover both sides with the rub...thoroghly...(if pressed for time do this an hour ahead of time, instead of the night before)

place in a large ziplock bag in your fridge and let sit...

make Sauce, mix with a fork or a whisk...

if you have smoker chips or smoking wood(no jokes here)

prepare that...soak some in water...
I have smoker pellets a little pricier but easier to work with, no soaking necessary...

I create a small pouch out of aluminum foil, put a couple handfuls of pellets into the pouch and put one small hole on either side of the pouch...

smoker pouch is optional but adds another layer of flavor...

place pouch on burner that will remain hottest. I preheat my grill to about 350(gas), I then, turn the front two burners down to low...I wait till I see smoke in my grill then place the rack of ribs on bone side down...

total cooking time is about an hour-1.5 hours...depending on your grill...and how many times you peek.

cook on the bone side for about 30-35 minutes, flip to the meat side, cook another 10 minutes...flip back to the bone side and cook for another 10-15 minutes...

sauce burns, so sauce is the last thing you need to worry about...
I don't sauce till the end...and you will want to put the sauce on both sides of the ribs...start with the meat side...you'll know your done when you see good color on the ribs...and the meat pulls away from the bones...

every time is different, keep trying...also of note...ribs you get in a restaurant are the smallest scrawniest ribs of all...so you can easily finish a rack of those, on big 2.5-3 pound rack should feed 2 people, for you big boys out there get more...these keep well in aluminum foil for a few days, reheat them in the toaster oven, or oven...