Thread: Cop Talk
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2007, 02:54 AM   #1535
frobie15

My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by verb View Post
Anyway, I recently got a ticket for going 82 in a 70 on I5 at 12am near sac international airport. There was nobody around and I was merging on the freeway at the time. I'm assuming he didn't use radar, since he left that box blank on the ticket, so he must have paced me. The only problem is that by the time his headlights were behind me, I had already slowed down to 65-70.

My question is, do I stand a chance if I contest this ticket, considering that I was merging at the time?
Also, I don't know if this is important, but in the max spd. box the cop wrote 65, and I know for a fact that the limit on this section of I5 is 70. Can I make a point out of this?
You're gonna have a hard time getting out of it. I understand that it was late with probably not a whole lot of traffic out, but you were still going 82. It's a maximum speed violation ticket so it's a matter of yes or no, were you over the limit. So you'd have to have a reason why the officer made an error rather than you not going that fast, if that makes any sense.

I'm pretty sure that the I-5 through any town (for the most part) is governed by a 65 mph max. I know that the Sacramento Airport is on the north end of town, but it's probably still 65. Double, no, triple check before you try to use this in court. If it IS a 70 zone, then take pictures of the signs, and try to find out through CalTrans the official max speed through there.

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote