View Single Post
Old 06-26-2007, 02:25 PM   #39
theribdoctor

Location: ze south floriduh close to the mouth of the rat Status: I am creepy /// fact: I was the ska king, and no, you can't call me that, well except maybe the chad and Dave
My Ride: MB W204
Send a message via AIM to theribdoctor
My grandmothers potato soup

1 giant red potato, or 2-3 regular red potatoes(peeled and diced) and soaked in enough water to cover.
1 large celery stalk(cleaned, and chopped into 1/4 inch slices)
2-3 small Carrots(cleaned and diced)
1/2 cup barley
1/2 small yellow or vidalia onion diced fine.
2 small cloves of garlic minced.
1 bullion cube chicken
Water
Wesson or other Veg-e-table oil
Salt, pepper, and Dill

I used 1 large skillet, and 1 medium stock pot with a lid.

get pearled barley, the instructions say 1 cup to 2 and a half cups of water...so I used 1/2 cup barley to 1 and 1/4 cups of water, brought the water to boil and added the barley. cooked that stirring regularly till the water dissipated. in separate skillet I Sauté 'd the onions, and then added the garlic...then the carrots, and the celery. and cooked till the onions were slightly brown, and the carrots and celery were slightly softened. I then drained and added the potatoes, and then added enough water to cover plus a 1/2 an inch. I brought this to a boil again, and crushed up the bullion cube, and then added the sauté 'd veggies. covered and lowered to a simmer and cooked for 25-30 minutes...or until the potatoes are fully cooked.

I used Dry Dill, but you can use Fresh Dill at the end, a few shakes.... Suggestion, while sautéing the Veggies, add salt and pepper...to taste.

at first it's like a chicken Soup with veggies but refrigerated overnight or frozen and reheated it thickens up and is yummy.