View Single Post
Old 07-24-2007, 07:02 PM   #56
Registered User
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 715
My Ride: 02 325Ci
Regardless of what you think you understood from that, you are mistaken. An inverter is used with ccfl as with any application that requires an "ac" wave from a dc source. A ballast is a device that specifically regulates the current. They are used in nearly all types of vapor bulbs. (that means fluorescent, metal halide, mecury, hps and hid). The reason they are used is because, and go look this up smart guy, a vapor lamp requires high voltage to ignite the gas inside, but a considerably lower voltage to maintain the spark. Ballasts use inductors or electronic limiters to maintain the currect current flow when the voltage drastically changes.

Your assertions that 700 volts would kill is plain wrong. You can be hit with millions of volts and not be hurt one bit. the killer is the current, which is inversly proportional to voltage. 14V @ 1A => multiplier => 140V @ 0.1A. It also depends on the frequency. A very high freq wave will bounce across your skin. Oh, and static... when you shock your tard ass on the door knob, measure around 3KV.

I suppose when you looked all this stuff up... you didn't bother to actually read it all. Here is a quote from your wikipedia page:

Originally Posted by Wikipedia: Electrical ballast
An electronic lamp ballast uses solid state electronic circuitry to provide the proper starting and operating electrical condition to power one or more fluorescent lamps and more recently HID lamps. Electronic ballasts usually change the frequency of the power from the standard mains (e.g, 60Hz in U.S.) frequency to 20,000 Hz or higher, substantially eliminating the stroboscopic effect of flicker (100 or 120 Hz, twice the line frequency) associated with fluorescent lighting (see photosensitive epilepsy). In addition, because more gas remains ionized in the arc stream, the lamps actually operate at about 9% higher efficiency above approximately 10 kHz.
The reason you are seeing it called an "inverter" is because CCFL are typically ran from a DC (battery) source. Like in cars, computers & such. The multiplication of voltage using a transformer or cascade multiplier requires AC. So the DC input must be "inverted". However, that term is somewhat misleading as well. There is no "inversion", only a method to produce a pulsating wave, which for the most part acts like an AC sine wave in the circuits.

Last edited by sstainba; 07-24-2007 at 07:13 PM.
sstainba is offline   Reply With Quote