View Single Post
Old 10-28-2007, 08:45 PM   #87
bamafanatic

My Ride: 2002 325Ci
Just did my CA and bushings today. I have no idea how people have been able to do this job in 2 hours......Anyway, the steps are as simple as described by others in previous posts but executing them is time consuming and tiring. Key points to re-iterate.

1. Take out the outer ball-joint first. I didn't on my right CA and I wasted quite a bit of time fighting it because the inner joint was flopping around (maybe 45 min-hour, it seemed like forever).

2. If the the joint doesn't pop out within a few good whacks, reposition the pickle fork try again. My left joints popped out right away using this technique.

3. The most challenging part of this whole project is the inner ball joint nuts. The only way that you are going to be able to tighten the left side is by using extensions and a pivoting ratchet joint (weird angle on the nut) to attack the nut from up top (you can see the nut if you look down next to the dipstick). You have room underneath on the right side to work, but it is still tedious.

4. Be patient. It takes a long time to loosen/tighten the inner control arm nuts. Take a break, have a drink if you get winded.

I installed Meyle CAs and Meyle HD bushings. The car feels alot tighter on the road now (My tires are severely feathered because of the old CAs). From ramps to finish (w/cleanup) took me about 5 hours. I suspect if I had to do it again it would take me about 3-4 hours. I am exhausted now and hope that I don't have to do this again for a LONG time. My steering rack is leaking so I am going to have the dealer replace it under my CPO warranty. Too bad CAs and bushings aren't covered under CPO warranty.....

Good luck to others doing this. I am tired, but I saved about $600 doing it on my own.
bamafanatic is offline   Reply With Quote