View Single Post
Old 12-11-2007, 09:16 PM   #51
Rajaie

My Ride: 528i 06/00
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyV View Post
wow, excellent thread, now you have me thinking about my vanos everytime i start my car.. i might have to dive into this project at some point to prevent future problems. I was sitting at a stop light about a year ago days before my automatic transmission took a dive, i was stopped at a stop light when all of a sudden my RPMs dropped to near stalling and surged back up, this happened 2 or 3 times at the stop light, i drove away normally and that problem has since never happened. I was convinced it was some random hiccup and i believe it was that day or days later that i lost reverse and my auto tranny took a hike. im wondering now if that was somehow a vanos issue that popped up and disappeared. The fact that these orings that are in the vanos go bad pretty much guaranteed, makes me pissed off at BMW... ahhh looks like ill be doing this preventative repair in the spring!
It’s hard to know what caused your idle hiccup.

In the short term, most of the owners installing the vanos seals repair kit will have 99-00 cars. They are the most frustrated due to their cold weather cold start idle jolts and possible stall. But 01+ owners also have much to gain from this repair, but they don’t know it, yet.
There are significant performance improvements attained from installing the seals kit and having a properly functioning vanos. I’m receiving consistent feedback from owners who install the solution; “my car passes like a racer”, “I now drive a sports car”, “my car is a different animal”, “I thought this car was just a daily get around car, but now it’s a really fun performance car”.

In time hopefully enough owners will report their findings on the forums that everyone will have a better sense of the situation.
It does take 200-500 miles of city driving to fully break-in the seals and attain optimum performance.
Rajaie is offline   Reply With Quote